Your dog ate a whole bag of treats at once? So what are you going to do right now? Don’t freak out, and help is on the way.
It is in their genes to eat anything, literally anything around them. We can’t blame them for eating anything they like, but over-consuming can affect your dog badly.
What happens if a dog ate a whole bag of treats?
Typically, few situations can be seen when a dog ate a whole bag of treats.
- Stomach dysfunction
Giving treats is the best way you can reward your dog. But are you giving up a whole bag of goodies? That is something more than your dog’s tummy expects.
Their digestive system is not adapted for such a higher-calorie diet. The best thing is to contact your vet once you see the symptoms.
But don’t be afraid! It’s not that serious an issue as it is only a matter of time till he’ll get normal.
- Abnormal stools( loose and watery)
This is a common thing experienced by dog owners when they eat a whole treat bag. The second he starts feeling the stomach upset, he will have a loose stool that will be watery.
Provide your dog plenty of water to wash out the remaining excess stuff stuck inside his stomach.
- Lack of appetite
Your dog may have difficulty eating food. With sickness, they might lose interest in food.
This is something you should highly consider as it will make them feel restless, and you’d have to deal with their mood swings as well.
What would you do if your dog ate a whole bag of treats?
First things first. You have to consider the following things before taking any action!
- The time
Even though you hope to take them to the vet, the timing is critical. It is essential to calculate the time between when he ate the whole bag of treats and when the symptoms appeared.
If your dog ate the entire bag of goodies and you realize it later, you must watch him closely to see how he takes it.
- The Size
The size matters! If your dog is small, it’s just more than he can take, so call the vet as soon as you see the symptoms.
But if your dog is average size or larger, he might not show any signs and will make it under control.
So let’s jump into the “what to do” list if your dog ate a whole bag of treats. So if you have seen those symptoms I mentioned above ( upset tummy, loose and watery stools, loss of appetite), here are some things for you to do.
- Go to your vet
This is the best thing to do, leaving it to experts. You have to give them a clear idea about what happened and help them in the history taking.
- Observe your dog closely
Observe him closely when your dog is under medication and see if he is doing well with the treatments.
And you have to take special notice of their diet. Do not let him eat anything that upsets his stomach again.
Can a dog overdose on treats?
Treats are usually not healthy food either for dogs or for us. So when they consume more treats, it directly affects their health.
Ask your vet about the treat limit for your dog, and do not overfeed him. And sometimes dogs are allergic to some food and keep in your mind what kind of food makes your dog sick.
And make sure you are not feeding your dog grapes, raisins, onions, chocolate, and anything that includes caffeine. They are very toxic for dogs.
And also, don’t feed him treats at mealtime. It’s a must-have plate of the day and includes many nutrients and calories. Do not ruin his major diet by giving away treats.
Should You Be Worried?
When your dog ate a bag of treats accidentally, that doesn’t mean he will get some severe disease. But! If you make this a habit, in mist, say that your pet’s life is in danger.
Did you know that the US Food and Drug Administration stated that jerky pets treat a dangerous condition named Fanconi syndrome, resulting in fatal kidney failure? In 2015, there were 1000 deaths reported due to this condition.
What dog treats are making dogs sick?
Grapes, raisins, onions, chocolate, and anything that includes caffeine can make your dog sick. Never feed those to your dog as a considerable dose of these treats can cause severe conditions.
So, to sum up, you should seek vet help if your dog ate a whole bag of treats. You can get an idea about how serious it is by looking at their symptoms, like stomach dysfunction, diarrhea, and lack of appetite.
Typically it’s not good for their health to consume so many treats. Don’t fill up their tummy by giving away junk foods. It will make them refuse their main meals too. Set up a treat limit for a day directed by your vet.
And remember to keep the treat bag away in a place where your little angels can’t find and reach out. Most importantly, precaution is always better than the cure.
Therefore make sure to keep your eye on them because they are the most adorable pal of your heaven.
Thank you for reading this post. Stay tuned with Jack Russell Owner for more interesting posts about your favorite dog breed. Have a wonderful day!